What is SEO and How Will It Help Your Small Business?
In this guide: SEO for Small Business Owners, you will learn exactly what SEO is and how it is essential for the visibility of your website to your target audience.
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the continuous process of enhancing and improving new and existing content so that it aligns with requests for information made in search engines such as Google and Bing.
The main goal of SEO is the improve where your content appears in the Search Engine Result Pages (SERPs) in response to search queries.
SEO is a great strategy for growing your business and it is a great compliment to paid advertising and social media marketing.
SEO Helps You Focus on Your Audience and Potential Customers
Your audience and potential customers are seeking answers and solutions to their problems.
SEO helps you create content (on your website and other high-quality websites) that helps solve those problems.
And, I am not referring to just any kind of content.
This content must empower and transform your audience and potential customers.
It must also educate them and build their trust in you as the expert they need.
Once you have this valuable content, SEO will help Google align your answers with your potential customers.
Those prospective customers will find your website and they will be one step closer to realising how amazing your business is for their needs.
Top 10 Benefits of SEO for Small Businesses
Here are the top 10 benefits of using SEO for your small business growth:
- Improved Overall User Experience
- Increased Your Number of Marketing Qualified Leads
- Increased Your Number of Sales Qualified Leads
- Lower Cost Per Lead
- Better Local Business Marketing
- More Credibility and Authority
- Better Brand Awareness
- Improved Mobile-Friendliness of Your Website
- Long-Term Marketing Strategy
9 Questions to Ask During an SEO Service Consultation
- What’s the longest time you’ve ever worked with one client?
- Are you strategy-focused, execution-focused, or both?
- How are you going to use my money to reach the right audience?
- How are you going to measure the success of the SEO campaign?
- How is the SEO campaign you’ll propose going to separate me from my competitors?
- Why should I use you and not your competitors?
- Do you work alone or as part of a team?
- How many clients do you work with at one time?
- Do you charge by the hour or by the project?
Does Your Small Business Need SEO services?
If your website is not visible to your target audience and potential customers you will forever struggle to use the internet to grow your business.
You may think that you need to focus on Facebook Ads, Google Ads (Previously Google Google Adwords), Social Media Marketing, sporadic content creation or webinars.
The thing is, all of these work but nothing beats the organic traffic your website gets once it begins to dominate the search rankings.
Think about how you shop online or look for answers on your mobile phone.
You rely on the quality content of other websites to help you but if your very own website lacks the much-required search engine visibility, you fail to be an option for your ideal customers’ needs.
The SEO efforts small business make via SEO service providers or SEO tools drastically increase their chances of using the power of organic search engines to get more leads, customers, clients and sales and revenue than they can handle.
Nothing beats month after month of quality traffic visiting your website thanks to a target keyword that consistently connects your company with potential customers in need of your solutions.
How Much Does SEO Cost?
Professional SEO companies begin every SEO project with a website audit or a specialised SEO Audit.
This audit can be free or be priced in the hundreds of pounds and thousands of pounds.
It is not unusual for an SEO agency to charge £2,500 – £4000 for an in-depth SEO audit.
These audits are usually bundled with a one-off or ongoing SEO consulting engagement where the hired expert helps the business owner create short, medium and long term SEO strategies.
Monthly SEO services usually go hand-in-hand with content marketing services and they can range from £1500 to £10,000 (or more) per month.
Monthly SEO marketing services can include:
- Onsite SEO
- Content Strategy
- Content Marketing
- Data-backed content
- Knowledge bases and in-depth FAQs
- Relevant Keywords Research
- Sponsored Content
- Local SEO including Google My Business Management
- Business listing management
- Link Building Strategy
- Competitive Keywords Analysis
- Backlinks Analysis
- Case Studies
- Blog Writing
- Ebook and White Papers
- Google Search Console Administration
Why is SEO So Expensive?
SEO is seen as expensive when there is no clear return on investment (ROI).
Without a clear ROI, investment in a marketing strategy like SEO quickly becomes an expensive cost.
In my opinion, SEO is a long-term and essential investment and not a cost.
Your goal and the goal of your SEO expert should be to get to positive ROI as quickly as possible.
A word to the wise: you ultimately get what you pay for.
Therefore, if you hire a seemingly cheap SEO company or SEO freelancer you can very well end up with cheap and low quality work done on your website.
This can result in no discernible change in your search engine ranking, a mind-boggling reduction in organic traffic and lost time searching through another list of potential SEO experts.
Your choice of investment should be based squarely on the predicted ROI.
Of course, £4000 per month is an important investment however if you predicted ROI is going to be £40,000 per month – then that is a serious investment that is worth every penny.
Small Business SEO Doesn’t Have to Be Expensive
Doing SEO for your small business doesn’t need need to be expensive.
For example, KDSEO is a super powerful DIY SEO software solution that guides you step-by-step through the SEO actions you need to complete – one at a time – that will deliver wins for your website.
Here’s a short demo of how KDSEO works:
3 Steps to Building a Profitable SEO Strategy For Your Business
Like all your marketing, successful SEO begins with building the right long-term strategy.
KDSEO guides you step-by-step through creating the perfect strategy that will target and drive your ideal customers to your website.
Step 1: Find the Most Suitable Keywords
As you can see in the video above, KDSEO will help you discover the most profitable keywords being used by your potential customers when they are searching for your type of services and products in Google.
Keyword Research Tips
- Always begin by thinking about how your potential customer would search for your services and products
- Include long-tail keywords
- Use free keyword tools like WordStream, Soovle or Ubersuggest or paid keyword tools like Semrush or Ahrefs.
- Regularly analyse and optimise your keywords
Step 2: Analyse Your Competitors Success
Analysing your competitors’ success is an important part of your SEO strategy.
Your focus should be on discovering the most relevant search terms that they rank for.
Competitor analysis is an opportunity for you to avoid “reinventing the wheel”.
Find out what your competitors are doing well and do it even better.
Once you have found a competitor to analyse, check out their blog:
- Are they producing quality blog content?
- Are they using content funnels?
- Are they building an email list with relevant opt-in offers?
- Are they creating content for search engines or their audience…or both?
KDSEO can show you exactly what keywords your competitors rank for, the search volume of their best keywords, the amount of traffic their websites receive, their main traffic sources and their backlinks.
Step 3: Improve Your Website Content
Writing good content is extremely important when it comes to SEO and we know that it can be very tricky finding new content topics.
KDSEO’s Content Topic Generator will help you to generate new ideas for your blog based on what content your website users and customers are consuming on Google, Twitter and Youtube.
Tips For Creating Amazing Website Content
- Always begin with a content analysis of your existing blog articles and landing pages
- Prioritise your website pages that will have the biggest impact on your rankings
- Create educational and trust-building content that guides your prospective customers through the stages of the purchase decision process AKA The Buyer’s Journey.
- Consistently create content about your niche and/or specialisation.
- Your progress towards higher rankings may not be as quick as you like – but don’t give up! Building an impactful business requires consistent effort.
- Use social media marketing and email marketing campaigns to create awareness about your great content.
How Long Does SEO Take to Show Results?
Standard SEO guidance says that you’ll usually start seeing ranking improvement within the first few months of an SEO campaign, but the real growth from SEO can take 4 to 12 months.
The exact amount of time required will varies according to the amount of SEO investment and your competition in the market.
After launching an SEO campaign, it is normal to experience increases and decreases in performance however patience and consistency are always rewarded with significant long-term gains.
How to Get Started With SEO For Your Small Business
KDSEO is a DIY SEO platform designed specifically for small business owners who need affordable SEO services.
KDSEO will provide you with step-by-step SEO guidance for improvements to your:
- Website Content
- Business Directory Listings
- Google My Business Performance
- Technical SEO
- Journalist Backlinks Opportunities
- Competitor Backlink Analysis
And, if you need any done-for-you help with your SEO, you can get quotes directly from inside your KDSEO dashboard.